Saturday 6 August 2011

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.

Apologies for the slight neglect of the blog of late. Work things pretty much took over my life for the past few weeks, and whenever I did get a free moment I was just feeling too lazy to sit down and write (I know, I know- poor excuses).

I come bearing a really simple little recipe for stuffed Portobello mushrooms. I know- I'm actually blogging something savoury... Who would have thought the day would come? Anyway, I served these as a side at a dinner party recently and they went down a treat with my guests. I think I probably should have made more, actually!



12 Portobello or large flat Field mushrooms (suitable for stuffing)
2 slices of wholemeal bread
1 clove of garlic
Flat-leaf parsley
Basil pesto
Grated cheese (I used parmesan, but mozzarella or cheddar would be good for a melty top)
Butter and oil for frying

Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius (fan oven).

Pop your two slices of bread into the toaster. You need them to be dried out and with just a little colour on them.

Once your bread is toasted, chop or tear them up roughly into smaller pieces, then pop them into a food processor and give them a quick pulse. You want slightly chunky breadcrumbs, not a fine, powdery crumb.

Clean off your mushrooms and remove the stalks. Dice the stalks and put aside. Place your mushrooms flat on a lightly greased oven tray.

Cook off your garlic in a little butter and oil, until soft and cooked through, then add your mushroom stalks. Toss in your breadcrumbs and fry until they have become golden brown. Pop the breadcrumb and garlic mix into a bowl, then add your diced mushroom stalks and some pesto to taste. You need just enough for the mix to bind together. Season to taste then finely chop a little parsley and add that to the mixture.

Spoon the breadcrumb mixture onto your mushrooms and top with grated cheese. Place in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through and the cheese has turned golden.

Serve with a little bit of finely chopped parsley sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!


Photo courtesy of Jason Kang.

No comments:

Post a Comment